Below are photographs courtesy of those who have so kindly offered to share them as documentation for the Ohio History Inventory Form for the Staunton Methodist Cemetery.
Thanking Christopher Riley for sharing his beautiful photograph seen below taken of the Staunton Methodist Church.
Thanking Eugene “Gene” Wilt for sharing a photograph from his Staunton Methodist Cemetery collection of the William Johnson marker at the Staunton Methodist Cemetery.
Thanking Bob Russell of the Fayette County Historical Society for providing important and striking scenes of the stately Staunton Methodist Church with it original wrought iron gate and fence that still runs along Staunton-Sugar Grove Road (County Road 52).
Views of some of the taller monuments are included in most photos.
(Above photo collage)
Left to right:
The Joseph Trimble Limes monument and bugler statue; the tallest monument in the Staunton Methodist Cemetery.
Photograph taken by Mr. Ted Waddle on January 7, 2020.
The graves of Levi Limes, his parents Harmon Limes, and Elizabeth Rowe Limes, are marked by the two white marble monuments and half-round marker shown in a photograph taken by Linda Jean Limes Ellis who also took photographs of the dark granite Limes family monument which stands for some of the remaining children of Harmon and Elizabeth Limes. They are Henry S. Limes, Martha Jane Limes Sharp, and Herressa A. Limes.
Two images and map insets from Google
“Selected Histories of
Fayette County Churches”
Project requested by:
Records compiled and printed by:
“THE STAUNTON METHODIST CHURCH”
“The Staunton M. E. Church Society in the village of Staunton, Concord Township, was organized A. D. 1820, and the first church was a rude structure, erected A. D. 1833.
According to early information the building was of log construction. Prior to the erection of the old log church, the pioneers had held their meetings in the various cabins and later on in the school house. Henry Turner is mentioned as an early circuit rider, coming to the community from Hillsboro to conduct meetings. In order to be present at his many
appointments, it was said that he was compelled to travel twenty-eight days each month and thus had but little time for recreation.
An early preacher mentioned in Dills History of Fayette County was Ebenezer Webster. Among the first elders were John Collins and William Simmons.
The Society enlarged until in 1851 a substantial frame church was built. This church was used by the parishioners until around the turn of the century when plans were discussed
for the construction of a brick edifice for worship services.g
It was definitely decided in the spring of 1900 to build the present church, a leading incentive to the construction of the building being the demise of $1,000 left by the late Robert Worthington.
In order to make room for the building of the new structure, the old church was moved to a vacant lot at the eastern edge of the village. It stood there for sometime until Mr. Morris Sharp, of Washington Court House, Ohio, paid $100 for the building, which was dismantled and moved to Washington C. H. where it was rebuilt on South Fayette Street and known for years as Wesley Chapel. The building replacing the old frame church was constructed of brick and stone with a slate roof. It has a bowled floor, seated with circular pews of quartered oak, which will comfortably seat about 400 persons, There are three large Gothic windows, elegantly set with beautiful art stained glass adorning the superstructure. One contains designs of the “Good Shepherd,” the “Cross,” “Crown” and “Anchor,” dedicated to the memory of the late Robert Worthington who for many years was a devoted member of the church and its causes.
On either side of the pulpit are two small rooms used for choir and library purposes. The Staunton M. E. Church Society deserve great credit for their cheerful and liberal contributions to the Building Fund and they take real pleasure in voicing appreciation to the many who so liberally contributed. The Ladies’ Aid Society displayed great tact and untiring energy in their efforts to raise as large a contribution as possible. The Ladies’ Aid was organized on May 9, 1899 with the following officers serving;
Mrs. P. W. Drumm, President; Mrs. Robert Worthington, Vice-President; Miss Stella Watson, Secretary; Mrs. Mattie McCoy, Asst. Sect’.; Mrs. J. E. Mark Treasurer. Many dollars were indirectly added to the Building Fund by donations to the society ranging in value from fractional parts of a. dollar to several dollars. Listed as members of the building committee were: Henry Mark, President; E. R. VanPelt, Vice-President; I. N. Rowe, Rec. Sect’.; J. E. Mark, Cor. Sect’,; Wm. Worthington, Treas.; L. H. Mark, and P. W. Drumm. Board of Trustees at the time included; Henry Mark, E. R. VanPelt, John Deer, Lewis Mark, Charles Stafford, Spencer Calvert, Clark Rowe, A. C. McCoy, J. E. Mark.
Dedicatory services were held on Sunday, February 3, 1901, with worship at 10:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. During the morning hour scripture readings were offered by Rev. D. Y. Murdock and Rev. J. W. Baker while invocation was pronounced by Rev. R. Watson. The morning sermon was given by Rev. J. W. Bashford, D, D., President of the Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, Ohio. Rev. A. H, Norcross, D. D., pastor of Grace M. E. Church, Washington C. H., Ohio, had the sermon at the evening service. Formal dedication was made by Rev. Bashford. The minister of the Staunton Methodist Church. at the time was Rev. P. W. Drumm.
In the early days, Staunton, Buena Vista, Mt. Carmel and Asbury Chapel made up the circuit. When Mt. Carmel burned and wasn’t rebuilt, Maple Grove and Camp Grove were added, That was about the years, 1912 to 1914. Staunton became part of a parish later on. Other churches in the parish included Good Hope, Buena Vista, Cochran, Maple Grove, Sugar Grove and New Martinsburg. The parsonage was then changed from Staunton to Good Hope. In the 1940’s-, Staunton became part of the Bloomingburg District, of which district it is now identified. Rev. Lester Taylor, of Bloomingburg is the present pastor. Other pastors who have served the church through the years included such names as Rev. Postle, Rev. Drumm, Rev. Bancroft, Rev. Clifford, Rev. Isaac Sollars, Rev. Ricketts, Rev. Creamer, Rev. Sudlow, Rev. Rose, Rev. Jones, Rev. N. H. Peterson, Rev. Meyers, Rev. Beckett, Rev. Haycock, Rev. Tucker, Rev. Marshall, Rev. Baughn, and Frank Hughes, Ohio Wesleyan University student, who served as substitute preacher during one summer.
Floors were sanded and the church redecorated about 12 years ago – 1943. A dedication was held then with Rev. Baughn the pastor in charge at that time.
Extensive redecorating to the interior has been underway at the church in recent months. New carpet has also been laid to further add to the attractiveness of the surroundings.
This year – 1955 – membership stands at approximately 100. Preaching services are held every two weeks at 9:30 a.m. Sunday School is held every Sunday, one morning at 9:30 a.m. and the next at 10:30 a.m., depending on preaching.”
“Most of the 100 members of Staunton Methodist Church, together with guests and former members from Washington C. H., Springfield, Chillicothe and Cleveland attended dedication services for the redecorated church on Sunday, May 22, 1955.
The interior of the church has been completely done over. The floors and pews have been refinished, new carpeting has
been laid and new drapes hung, and a large portrait of Christ now dominates the front of the church.
Following the morning class session a worship service was held at 11 a.m. with Rev. Lester Taylor offering a sermon based on the Book of Psalms. In the congregation were 18 families from Selden Grange. At noon a potluck dinner was held at Staunton school. Returning to the church, members and guests enjoyed the formal dedication service at 2 p.m. conducted by Rev. Marshall, a former pastor of the Staunton Church. Other than the dedication sermon, there were several talks given by members of long standing covering major events in the history of the church. The talks were prepared and delivered by W. P. Wikel, Miss Blanche Roberts, Miss Mazie Rowe, Miss Annette Stafford, Mrs. Pearl McCurdy and Lawrence Sheridan. Present at the dedication service were a dozen members of the Sunday School class taught for years by Mrs. Mary Stafford, who would be over a century old if she were still living.
Eight church members who attended the original dedication of the church after its construction in 1901 were on hand for the services May 22, 1955. They were Miss Blanche Roberts, Miss Mazie Rowe, Miss Annette Stafford, Mr. and Mrs. Foster Wikle, W. E. Sollars, Mrs. Vada McCoy and W. P. Wikel.”
(Facts from Record-Herald dated May 23, 1955.)
The two images above comprise the W.P.A. Cemetery Plat map created for the Staunton Methodist Cemetery with the listing
of known veterans up to and including World War I.
The veterans’ names, grave locations, and war designations are listed.
Their burial plots are noted on the map.
Below are the Veterans Graves Registration Cards obtained from the Fayette County Recorder’s Office.
These cards can serve as companion records for the W.P.A. Cemetery Plat maps.